What If My Employer Doesn't Provide A Light-Duty Job?

In your recovery from an on-the-job accident, you still may be able to work. However, the duties of your normal job may be too difficult to complete after an injury. If you can return to work, your employer may be able to provide a light-duty job as you recover — but what if they don't?

Request A Temporary Total Compensation Award

Many people take pride in their work and see it as a vital part of their identity and routine. You may want to return to work as soon as possible. However, if your employer can't provide a light-duty job, you can seek alternatives, including additional compensation for your lost time from work with the help of an attorney.

If your authorized treating physician releases you to light-duty work, but your employer can't offer you a light-duty job within those restrictions, then you should request a temporary total compensation award for two-thirds of your preinjury average weekly wage (AWW).

If the insurer denies compensation, then you should file a claim for benefits with the VWC Commission and market your residual work capacity to be eligible for compensation. This means you must apply for light-duty jobs at other companies and keep a written log. You should keep job searching until the insurer compensates you.

If the insurer assigns a vocational counselor for light-duty job placement, then you must comply or face termination of your compensation.

Learn More About Your Options With A Free Consultation

To learn more about your options in recovery, speak with a Virginia workers' compensation lawyer. Get in touch with me today by calling 804-554-3168 or send me an email. Discuss your options in seeking light-duty work with me in a free initial consultation. Appointments are now available to you in Richmond.