As a lawyer, I have been representing Social Security Disability claimants for over 35 years. It used to be you had a 50-60% chance to win a disability hearing in Richmond, Virginia. However, recent statistics from Social Security indicate the success rate in Richmond has fallen to 30-40% for claimants. Perhaps, this is due to the fact stronger cases are granted at the lower level. Richmond Judges Disability Approval Rate. It is distressing to see some judges with an approval rate of 28% or 25%. This seems to indicate one only has a one chance in four of winning a case before one of these judges. A 25% chance of winning is not a pleasant prospect. This also means more than ever one cannot expect much chance of success if one goes before the judge without an experienced Social Security Lawyer.